From the Aberdeen Press April 1916 FARMERS’ ARITHMETIC INCLUDED PART OF CEMETERY IN HIS ACREAGE. The Salford tribunal cancelled certificates of exemption to three of the sons of Agecroft farmer named James Ward, the certificates given to two other sons remaining untouched. The case was reheard at the request of the military representative, who stated that serious doubt had arisen of the accuracy of evidence given at the last hearing, when it was stated that the sons were working on two farms of 144 acres. Mr Ward stated that in the acreage he had included about thirty-eight acres of the Salford cemetery, the grass of which they had to cut twice. There were about thirty-eight acres on the farm, which, having to be cut twice, made it into seventy-six. The Chairman said the Tribunal thought it perfect nonsense to say that Mr Ward farmed seventy -six acres when thirty-eight were cemetery land, which he did not farm, simply cutting the grass. They could only think the statement made for a purpose. http://madlab22.ismysite.co.uk/cemetery/
The late Captain Dauntesey, Agecroft Hall, whose death occurred on the 14th inst. at Torquay, was born in 1859 Bakewell, was educated Cheltenham College and France. He joined the 5th Fusiliers in 1858, was always in the Ist Battalion, and went to India almost immediately after joining. He spent two years in India, and after seven years’ service left the Army. He was the eldest son of the Rev. Robert Pennyman Hull, who predeceased him. About 26 years ago Mr Dauntesey succeeded to the family estates, taking the name of Dauntesey. He married in 1882, Alice Mary, daughter of Mr. Charles Marsh Schomberg. There was one daughter, Mary, who died in infancy in 1885. He is succeeded by his brother, Captain Hull, late of the Cheshire Regiment, who will in due course take the name of Dauntesev. The funeral, which took place Kersal on the 19th inst., was attended by a large number of relatives and friends. A large number of beautiful wreaths were sent.